WHO WE ARE & WHAT WE'RE ABOUT
The Capital Wolves are Girls Youth Hockey program located in the greater Hartford, Connecticut area. The program started our first season with the 2017-2018 USA Hockey season, and has been created out of a partnership between the Central Connecticut and West Hartford youth hockey associations. The program skates girls teams at the U10, U12, U14, and U19 levels, and competes in the CHC and CGHL conferences.
Developed in large part thanks to rising numbers and tremendous interest across the Greater Hartford region, the goal of this collaborative effort is to provide an opportunity for girls of various ages and skill levels to have a local place to play hockey, while simultaneously helping to build and grow a unique program to compete at all levels against other girls and boys programs throughout CT and New England. We are building an environment for our players to have a great experience, develop as hockey players, learn teamwork, and have a ton of fun both on and off the ice. We're always looking for additional players to join us, new or experienced. If you want to learn more and can't find your answer hear, contact us at
2017-2018...OUR INAUGURAL SEASON
We are incredibly excited and proud of our first season of the Capital Wolves, and how fast it has taken off. In our first season (2017-2018) we had over 70 girls skating on five teams across four different age groups. We saw real development and growth with our girls on the ice, won a ton of games, and competed at high levels - including at in and out-of-state tournaments. And we had fun doing it - with team and organization-wide events including attending Trinity Women's Hockey games, Quinnipiac Women's Hockey teams, and skating at one of the Sacred Heart women's team practices.
2018-2019 OUTLOOK & TEAMS
The Capital Wolves are skating five travel teams this season, as well as one house team at the U10 level. Including:
- U10 RED (2008, 2009, 2010*) - Full travel team. Participates in the CGHL, including a CHC (co-ed) slate of games.
- U10 BLUE (House, 2008 & Under) - Participates in the CCYHA House league, with a limited travel schedule (CGHL D2).
- U12 RED (2006, 2007) - A-level team, participates in both the CHC and CGHL leagues.
- U12 BLUE (2006, 2007, 2008*) - Participates in both the CHC and CGHL leagues.
- U14 RED (2004, 2005) - A-level team, participates in the CHC (and CGHL leagues. CHC 2004/2005 national eligible.
- U15 RED (2004, 2005, 2006*) - Participates in the CGHL league.
- U19 Split Season (2003 & Older) - Split season team for those playing high school. May have a limited winter game/practice schedule. CGHL/CHC.
*Open to experienced travel hockey players. Player must have the appropriate skill, size, and travel experience to "play up."
Our goal continues to be to balancing developmental and competitive skaters, creating rosters that are as like-skilled as possible - to maximize the development of each player, and the competitiveness of each team. We also work to keep kids in their designated age groups, as much as possible.
U10 HOUSE (Blue) - This team will be geared for like-skilled U10-aged girls who are new to travel hockey, or perhaps hockey in general, and will be designed to prepare the girls for full travel hockey at a higher level for seasons to come. The goal is to focus on hockey skill and skating development, team camaraderie, building confidence on the ice, and creating a team environment that is safe and fun for the girls.
The House Team Structure will be as follows:
- Adherence to the ADM skill development model.
- Higher practice to game ratio – 3-4 ice sessions per week
- Roughly 1 game per week – with participation in the local house league, and limited home/travel games with like-skilled teams in the greater Central Connecticut region
- Participation in the Connecticut Girl Hockey League (CGHL) Jamboree
OUR PARENT ORGANIZATIONS
WHO WE PLAY - CONFERENCES & SCHEDULES
The Capital Wolves are members of the CHC and CGHL conferences, and play against girls and boys teams throughout Connecticut. Our travel teams partipate in New England area tournments, like the Cranberry Tournament, and do play some games against teams in Massachusettes. Our developmental teams participate in local house leagues, with a select set of travel games throughout the season.
The expectation is to offer competitive teams at the highest skill levels, while also affording every girl with interest a place to play hockey without having to leave the area.
Connecticut Hockey Conference (CHC) | Connecticut Girls Hockey League (CGHL)
Trinity College (Hartford) | Newington Arena | Veteran’s Rink (West Hartford)
In general we offer the following activities for each travel team:
- 2 on-ice practices per week
- 1 home & 1 away game per week in season
- Regular off-ice dryland sessions
- 1 in-season travel/area tournament
- 1 post-season league tournament
- Regular Goalie and Power-Skating Clinics
OUR HOCKEY PARTNERS
We have partnered with several key area hockey development programs, with regular clinics run by Procrease, IPH, Future Fitness Pro, and Bryan Healy.